Transition Phrase ---- When we started talking I thought I might have some good news to share with you. Now that we a talked a little, I know that I have the best news that you have ever heard. Would you mind if I took just a few minutes to share this wonderful news with you?
Realize There are two things that we need to realize in order to understand this great news.
A. Heaven is a free gift. (Romans 6:23) Isn't that great? Heaven can not be earned or deserved. We can understand this better when we see what the bible has to say about man.
B. Man is not able to save himself. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
We all have sinned. (Romans 3:23) Sin can not and will not be allowed into heaven.
This will make more sense as we learn about God.
Recognize To better understand this good news it is helpful to recognize these two things.
A. God is merciful and therefore does not want to punish sin.
God is just and therefore he must punish sin. Use the example of the court trial.
God solved this problem through his son Jesus Christ.
1. Jesus died for our sins. This is a good place to use the book example.
2. Jesus also defeated death and arose from the dead.
3. Jesus purchased a place in heaven for you with his blood.
4. Jesus now offers this place in heaven to you as a free gift. This gift is received by faith.
Receive In order to receive Christ we have to have the right kind of faith.
1. Intellectual faith is of the mind and believes that God does exist.
2. Temporary faith believes for the short term. Example of spare tire.
3. Permanent faith trust Jesus totally for salvation. Use the chair example to explain this.
A. Which of these three do you think it would take to receive the gift?
B. Would you like to receive the free gift of eternal life in heaven?
C. Use the three R's again if necessary.
1. Realized all have sinned. Are you willing to repent of sin?
2. Recognize Jesus as Lord. Do you believe that Jesus can save you?
3. Receive the resurrected saviour. Will you ask Jesus to come into your heart and save you.
D. Let us pray. I will lead us in prayer. You could repeat the three R's in your prayer. You pray a short line and then ask the to repeat the words, meaning them from their heart.
A. St. John 6:47 Get their address and phone number. Send them a letter and give them a call.
B. Make sure they have a bible. Get some tapes to them to help them. They have just accepted Christ as their saviour. The devil is going to attack them, so we need to follow up and help them.
At this point you have covered a lot of information. They are sure to have a lot of questions. Do not give up because you do not understand something. There will be a couple of lessons breaking down this outline. Before you are done you will be going through this gospel presentation with no trouble.