There is, in this building today, many people that have been saved. If you have really been saved you have a desire to see your friends, and families get saved as well. For that matter you have a desire to see anyone get saved, even if you have not ever meet them. In our text Jesus comes upon some fishermen and tells them to follow Him. These men knew about fishing for fish but they had no knowledge of the adventure that they were about to start. Now I have not been fishing that much in a long time, but I do have some knowledge about fishing.
A. How does a fishing trip become great fun. Well, you go with a bunch of friends and catch fish. It is very exciting to see all catch fish. It can be frustrating, and hard as well as boring if no one is catching any fish. You can become irritable and hard to get along with.
B. For this church to have a great time and to grow we need to all become fishermen. It is exciting to see others catch fish or in this case win souls. On the other hand if there is no soul winning we to can become frustrated and hard to get along with in church.
C. In this section we have what it takes to become fishers of men. I see three parts that I want us to notice in this section today. We should all want to be fishermen.
A. So many times we do not realize what our part is in this. Our part in soul winning is to follow.
If you have ever played follow the leader you know that the leader has the most responsibility.
1. There is not a one of us today that can save a soul, not here or anywhere, not anyone.
2. There is not a one of us today that can even put someone under conviction.
B. It is not our job to put anyone under conviction, or to save anyone. Our job is to follow Him.
Brothers, the fishermen can't make the fish take the bait, all they can do is put the bait out there in different forms. We as followers are to put out the bait. We do this in several ways.
1. By having a burden and concern for those going to hell.
Psa 126:6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.
1. By letting our lights shine.
Mat 5:14-16 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light uno all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Not being ashamed of Jesus Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
2. By having the joy of the Lord in our hearts. 63 times in 60 verses in N.T. joy is used.
3. By spreading the gospel. Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
C. We are simply to follow what He teaches. Love your enemies, do unto others, follow!
A. His part is to make us fishermen. We follow and He makes. We can't do His part. Part of our problem is that we think we can do this part and there is no way.
B. God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost are the ones that will do the convicting. He is the one that shook the prison, rocked the ship in the sea and puts the Holy Ghost to work. To many times the church tries to do the work of the spirit, just follow and stand back.
C. He turned Peter into a fisherman. The fire and Pentecost. Turn you into a fishermen Acts 1:8
Our part is to follow, His part is to make or equip us, and their part is to come.
A. It is true that every one will not get saved. But if we will do our part, He will do His and there will be some that will do their part.
B. Throughout the bible we can see this to be true. Follow, Conviction, People coming to Jesus.
1. Philip was just following in Acts 8:26 when the Ethiopian got saved.
2. Paul and Silas were just following when Lidea got saved in Acts 16:13.
3. Paul and Silas were just a following when the jailer fell on his knees in Acts 16:29
4. Paul was just following when those of Caesar's household go saved.
C. I personally know this to be true. It can be true for you as well
Which Part One of two of these parts is yours, start with your part.