The Fear of The Lord
A. The Wicked Are Characterized By A Lack of Fear of The Lord - Rom 3:10-18
1. Ecc 8:11-13
a. 11 - Wrong Perspective About Sin
1. Job 28:28 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding
2. Jer 2:19 Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts
b. 12 - Wrong Perspective About Godís Word
1. God pronounces a blessing upon them that fear Him
c. 13 - Wrong Perspective About Godís Judgment
a. Ps 36:1 The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes
B. Godís People Are Characterized By The Fear of The Lord
a. Re 15:4 Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest.
Hananiah - Faithful and Feared the Lord
1. His Fear of God Was Recognized
2. His Fear of God Was Recorded
3. His Fear of God Was Rewarded
Define The Fear of The Lord
a. Pr 3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
b. Pr 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
The Fear of The Lord Brings Wisdom
(Right Application of Knowledge)
a. Pr 9:10-11 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding. For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased.
b. Job 28:28 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding. c. Ps 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.
The Fear of The Lord Brings Worship
a. Rejoicing with Respect - Ps 2:11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
1. Ps 22:23 Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel
2. Ps 89:7 God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him.
b. Humility with Holiness - Ps 5:7 But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.
1. Ps 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever
2. Ps 96:9 O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth.
The Fear of The Lord Brings Protection
a. Ps 34:7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
b. Ps 115:11 Ye that fear the LORD, trust in the LORD: he is their help and their shield
The Fear of The Lord Brings Blessing
a. Ps 112:1 Praise ye the LORD. Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in his commandments
b. Ps 34:9 O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him.
c. Pr 19:23 The fear of the LORD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.
d. Ps 103:11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
e. Ps 103:13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.
f. Ps 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;
g. Ps 128:1 Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways.