The Dung Gate
1. Gates - openings in the walls of a city - places of entrance
2. Gates - moveable structures that guard the openings - obstruct
3. Strategically placed to be both:
a. Easily accessible
b. Easily defendable
4. New Jerusalem - 12 gates - 3 per side
a. No moveable structures for defense
5. The Gates were the main places of attack
a. 2 Sam 11:20-24 (Donít attack the walls!!)
The Dung Gate - Represents Our Sanctification - vs 14
It was used for the disposal of rubbish and dung and led out to the
Valley of Hinnom (their landfill)
1. Neh 4:1-2, 10 - rubbish oir trash is not necessailrly wrong, but useless
and clutters up the place.
2. Godís People too busy to serve..
a. Personal Cleansing - Heb 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are
compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside
every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us
run with patience the race that is set before us,
1. Removal of Weights
a. 1Co 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all
things are not expedient: all things are lawful for
me, but all things edify not.
b. Expedient - fit or suitable for the purpose; Not
c. Edify not - To build To instruct and improve the
mind in knowledge
2. Removal of Sin
a. 1Co 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we
should not be judged.
b. Ps 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and
mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my
transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest
the iniquity of my sin.
b. Church Cleansing (Jesus cleansed the Temple)
1. Removal of Weights - things not wrong that take up
your time and energy.
a. Three Fold Mission
1. Evangelize - Mr 16:15 And he said unto
them, Go ye into all the world, and preach
the gospel to every creature.
2. Edify - Mt 28:19-20 Go ye therefore,
and teach all nations, baptizing them in the
name of the Father, and of the Son, and of
the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe
all things whatsoever I have commanded
you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto
the end of the world. Amen.
3. Ehort - Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the
assembling of ourselves together, as the
manner of some is; but exhorting one
another: and so much the more, as ye see the
3. Social Activities Can Be Weights
a. We are not an entertainment
4. Sports Activities Can Be Weights
a. We are not a physical therapy
5. Structural Activities Can Be Weights
a. Unnecessary building!
2. Removal of Sin
a. 1Pe 4:17 For the time is come that judgment
must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us,
what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of
2. 1Co 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep
company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator,
or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an
extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
c. National Cleansing
1. 2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name,
shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and
turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven,
and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
1. The Problem - Neh 4:1-3, 10
2. The Perspective - Phil 3:7-14
3. The Perogative - Luke 9:23-25