The Gate Miphkad
1. Gates - openings in the walls of a city - places of entrance
2. Gates - moveable structures that guard the openings - obstruct
3. Strategically placed to be both:
a. Easily accessable
b. Easily defendable
4. New Jerusalem - 12 gates - 3 per side
a. No moveable structures for defense
5. The Gates were the main places of attack
a. 2 Sam 11:20-24 (Donít attack the walls!!)
The Gate Miphkad - Represents Judgment - vs 31
Intro: An Appointment
1. Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
2. Ac 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.
a. The Judgment of Israel
1. Jer 30:3 For, lo, the days come, saith the LORD, that I
will bring again the captivity of my people Israel and Judah, saith the LORD: and I will cause them to return to the land that I gave to their fathers, and they shall possess it. Jer30:7 as! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the me of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it.
a. The Self Judgment of The Believer
1. Ps 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine
iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my
transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the
iniquity of my sin.
2. 1Co 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should
not be judged.
b. The Judgment Seat of Christ
1. 2Co 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment
seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
c. Great White Throne Judgment
1. Re 20:11-15 And I saw a great white throne, and him
that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
All hope abandon, ye who enter here.
Dante Alighieri (1265-1321)
Damnation: continual dying.
John Donne (1572-1631)
Hell is full of the ungrateful.
Hell is paved with good intentions.
James Boswell (1740-1795)
Hell is the highest reward that the devil can offer you for being a servant of his.
Billy Sunday (1862-1935)
Hell is truth seen too late.
Tryon Edwards (1809-1894)
Teeth will be provided for those who do not have teeth.
The essence of hell is complete separation from God, and that is the
W. R. Matthews (1818-1909)
The gnashing of teeth ... despair, when men see themselves abandoned by God.
Martin Luther (1483-1546)
The pain of punishment will be without the fruit of penitence; weeping will be useless, and prayer ineffectual. Too late they will believe in eternal punishment who would not believe in eternal life.
Saint Cyprian (200-258)
The road to hell is easy to travel.
Bion (Fl. C. 100 B.C.)
The safest road to hell is the gradual one-the gentle slope, soft underfoot,
without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.
C. S. Lewis (1898-1963)
An infidel said, "There is one thing that mars all the pleasures of my life."
"Indeed!" replied his friend, "what is that ?"
He answered, "I am afraid the Bible is true. If I could know for certain that death is an eternal sleep, I should be happy: my joy would be complete! But here is the thorn that stings me. This is the sword that pierces my very soul, -- if the Bible is true, I am lost forever."
The use of this awful subject may be for awakening unconverted persons to a conviction of their danger. This that you have heard is the case of every one out of Christ. That world of misery, that lake of burning brimstone, is extended abroad under you. There is the dreadful pit of the glowing flames of the wrath of God; there is hell's wide gaping mouth open; and you have nothing to stand upon, nor anything to take hold of, there is nothing between you and hell but the air; it is only the power and mere pleasure of God that holds you up.
-- Jonathan Edwards
1. It Is A Sure Occasion - "as it is appointed"
a. Death is Sure
1. Ge 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and
evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest
thereof thou shalt surely die.
2. Ro 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the
world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all
men, for that all have sinned:
3. Ge 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
4. 2Sa 14:14 For we must needs die, and are as water
spilt on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again;
neither doth God respect any person:
5. Job 14:5 Seeing his days are determined, the number
of his months are with thee, thou hast appointed his
bounds that he cannot pass;
6. Job 30:23 For I know that thou wilt bring me to
death, and to the house appointed for all living.
7. Ps 89:48 What man is he that liveth, and shall not
see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the
8. Ec 3:20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
2. It Is A Shameful Occasion
a. Christ Died For The Lost
1. 1Jo 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not
for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
2. 2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise,
as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to
us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all
should come to repentance.
3. 1Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all
acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save
sinners; of whom I am chief.
4. Mt 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are
heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
5. Re 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And
let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst
come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life
6. Re 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any
man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to
him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
7. Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might
3. It Is A Sorrowful Occasion
a. Matthew 25:1-12 - Ten Virgins
b. Mt 8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
c. Mt 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
d. Ro 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
e. 1Co 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
4. It Is A Sobering Occasion
a. Isa 5:14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her
mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and
their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.
b. Jude 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own
shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of
darkness for ever.
c. Re 14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
d. Rev 20:11-15
"The Judgment Seat of Christ"
Intro: Miphkad - an appointment
a. Last week we saw the Appointment of the Wicked Dead
1. Arise ye Wicked Dead - Come to the Judgment
b. This week - the judgment of the Believer
1. The Place of the Judgment - 1 Cor 5:6-10
a. The Judgment Seat - Heaven
2. The People of the Judgment - 1 Cor 3:5-8; Rom 14:10-12
a. You can fall on the Rock, but you canít fall off
1. Mt 21:44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.
3. The Purpose of the Judgment - 1 Cor 3:8, 10, 13
a. Reward, not Retribution
4. The Person of Judgment - 1 Cor 13:12
a. 2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of
righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that `love his appearing.
5. The Purity of the Judgment - 1 Cor 3:13
1. 2Co 5:11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we
a. Jer 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and
like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
b. Jer 5:14 Wherefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them.
c. 1Co 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of
darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts:
and then shall every man have praise of God
6. The Products of the Judgment - 1 Cor 3:12
a. The Perishible - Temporal
b. The Permenant - Eternal - 1Pe 1:4 To an inheritance
incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you
1. 1Co 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a
corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
a. Incorruptible - for finishing the race
2. 1Th 2:19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of
rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord
Jesus Christ at his coming?
a. Rejoicing - soul winnerís crown
3. 2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of
righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall
give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them
also that love his appearing.
a. Righteousness - love His appearing
4. Jas 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation:
for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life,
which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
a. Life - love Him more than the world
b. Re 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou
shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you
into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have
tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and
I will give thee a crown of life.
5. 1Pe 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye
shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
a. Shepherdís Crown - faithful Pastors
7. The Peace of the Judgment - 1 Cor 3:15
a. Still Saved!! - Thank God
b. 1Jo 4:17-19 - A Herein is our love made perfect, that we may
have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him, because he first loved us.