The East Gate
1. Gates - openings in the walls of a city - places of entrance
2. Gates - moveable structures that guard the openings - obstruct
3. Strategically placed to be both:
a. Easily accessible
b. Easily defendable
4. New Jerusalem - 12 gates - 3 per side
a. No moveable structures for defense
5. The Gates were the main places of attack
a. 2 Sam 11:20-24 (Donít attack the walls!!)
The East Gate - Represents Our Glorious Hope - vs 29
"The East Gate" (Second Coming)
Neh. 3:29; Ezek 43:1-5; Ezek 441-3
Intro: The Keeper of the east gate
a. The world looks forward to the new millenium - quit looking for Jesus.
1. Lu 12:37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he
cometh shall find watching:
2. Mt 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
The Promise of His Coming
a. Gen 3:15
1. "Bruise His Heel" - 1st advent - fulfilled at Calvary
2. "bruise thy head" - 2nd Advent - overthrow of Satan
a. 2Th 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed,
whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his
mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his
b. Re 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was
cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the
beast and the false prophet are, and shall be
tormented day and night for ever and ever.
b. Gen 49:8-12
1. Jesusís Prophecy - 8-9 - "Lion of the tribe of Judah"
2. 1st Advent - 10-12 - "Shiloh" - tranquility or peace
3. 2nd Advent - 10 - "gathering of the people"
c. Job 19:25
1. 1st Advent - "Redeemer liveth" (death-burial-ress)
2. 2nd Advent - "stand ... upon the earth"
d. Psalms 22, 23, 24
1. 1st Advent - chapter 24 - Jesusí Cross
2. Period Between - chapter 23 - Jesusí Care
3. 2nd Advent - chapter 24 - Jesusí Coming
2. The Truth of His Coming In The Gospels
a. Matt 16:21, 28; Matt 24:3-31; Luke 21:25-33; John 14:1-3
3. The Truth of His Coming In The Acts of The Apostles
a. Acts 1:9-11; Acts 15:14-18
4. The Truth of His Coming In The Epistles
a. 1 Cor 15:51-52; Col 3:4; 1 Thes 4:13-18; Tit 2:11-13; Heb
9:24-28; James 5:7-8; 1 Pet 1:10-11; 1 Pet 5:4; 2 Pet 3-10; 1
John 3:1-3; Jude 14; Rev 1:7, 19:11-16
5. The Truth of His Coming In The Lordís Supper
a. 1 Cor 11:23-26 (last 3 words)
b. When we partake we are reminded
6. The Truth of His Coming In The Heart Of Every Believer
a. Rom 8:18-25
1. Eve knew He was coming.- Gen. 4:1 - And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.
2. Enoch said He is coming: Jude 14 - And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints.
3. Job said He is coming: Job 19:25 - For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.
4. David said He is coming: Psalms 24:7 - Lift up your heads, 0 ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
5. Zechariah said He is coming: Zec. 14:4 - And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and he mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.
6. Malachi said He is coming: Mal. 4:2 - But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall
go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
7. John The Baptist Said He Is Coming Mt 3:11-12 I indeed baptize
you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
8. Paul said He is coming 1Th 4:16-17 For the Lord himself shall
descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and
with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we
which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
9. Peter said He is coming 2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
10. John said He is coming 1Jo 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of
God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
11. Jesus said He is coming - Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. Re 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
The Period of His Coming
a. The Analogy of God's Time
(1) 2 Peter 3:8 - But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing,
that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand
years as one day.
(2) Psalms 90:4 - For a thousand years in thy sight are but as
yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.
b. The Allotment of God's Time
(1) Exodus 20:9 - Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
(2) Exodus 20:11 - For in six days the LORD made heaven and
earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day:
wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
c. The Achievement of God's Time
(1) Matthew 17:1-2 - And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
(2) Hosea 6:2 - After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.
(3) Matthew 24:4-8 - And Jesus answered and said unto them,
Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my
name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall
hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for
all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For
nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.
d. The Acknowledgment of God's Time
(1) Luke 17:26-27 - And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
(2) Luke 17:28-29 - Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot;
they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
(3) Eze 43:1-4 Afterward he brought me to the gate, even the
gate that looketh toward the east: And, behold, the glory of
the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory. And the glory of the LORD came into the house by the way of the gate whose prospect is toward the east.
The Picture of His Coming
1. Enoch - Gen 5:24
2. Lot - Gen 19:15-22
3. Elijah - 2 Kings 2:11
The Purpose of His Coming
Jesus is coming again for THREE reasons:
(1) To bring glory to His church. Eph 5:25-27 Husbands, love
your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
(2) To bring restoration to Israel Ro 11:25-26 For I would not,
brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
(3) To bring judgment to the world. Ps 96:13 Before the
LORD: for he cometh, for he cometh to judge the earth: he shall judge the world with righteousness, and the people with his truth.
Ac 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.
His Coming Is:
a. A Glorious Hope
1. Tit 2:11-13 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
a. Godís Grace In His Cross - salvation
1. Salvation is all grace - bringeth
2. Salvation is all Christ - appeared
3. Salvation is all inclusive - all men
b. Godís Grace In His Children - denying
1. Grace Teaches - teaching us
2. Grace Convicts - denying
3. Grace Guides - should live
c. Godís Grace In His Coming - appearing
1. The Expectance - Looking for
2. The Excitement - blessed hope
3. The Event - glorious appearing
b. A Prufiying Hope
1. Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem
us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar
people, zealous of good works.
a. The Resolve of Purity - he might redeem us
1. Sacrifice for sin - gave himself
2. Salvation from sin - from all iniquity
b. The Result of Purity - peculiar people
1. They are different - peculiar
2. They are dedicated - zealous
2. 1Jo 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him
purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
c. A Sure Hope
1. 1Jo 3:1-2 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath
bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of
God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew
him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth
not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
2. 1Th 4:13-18 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which
sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
The Purification of His Coming
1 John 3:2-3 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet
appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
1. We Are To Be Faithful Until He Comes - Lu 19:13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.
2. We Are To Be Seperated Until He Comes - I John 2:28 - And now,
little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have
confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
3. We Are To Hold Fast Our Profession Until He Comes - Heb 10:23
Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; for he is
faithful that promised;
4. We are to be patient in waiting. Heb. 10:36-37 - For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tary.