The Valley Gate
1. Gates - openings in the walls of a city - places of entrance
2. Gates - moveable structures that guard the openings - obstruct entrance
3. Strategically placed to be both:
a. Easily accessible
b. Easily defendable
4. New Jerusalem - 12 gates - 3 per side
a. No moveable structures for defense
5. The Gates were the main places of attack
a. 2 Sam 11:20-24 (Donít attack the walls!!)
The Valley Gate- Represents Our Sorrows - vs. 13 - (Churches Go Through Valleys)
a. Valleys are places of Battle
1. 1Ti 1:18-19 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare; Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
1. 2Ti 2:1-4 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
b. Valleys are a way of Life -Till we get home
1. Lu 3:5 Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth;
2. 1Pe 4:12-14 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
1. Valley of Doubt - When our faith begins to waver in light of problems, Satan attacks
2. Valley of Discouragement - When we are tempted to give up,
3. Valley of Disappointment - When we see the wicked do well and Godís people have problems, Satan attacks
4. Valley of Discipline - When we fail the Lord and He deals with us, Satan attacks
5. Valley of Defeat - When we give in to the flesh, Satan attacks
6. Valley of Decision - When we donít know which way to go,
7. Valley of Division - When family and friends turn upon us and separate from us, Satan attacks
8. Valley of Death - When loved ones die, Satan attacks
1. Valley of Dryness - Churches get into ruts, Satan attacks
a. Need to keep worship and life in services (say AMEN! if you feel like it or not
2. Valley of Division - Sometimes the enemy creeps in, Satan attacks
a. Need to keep the ear to the ground
b. Need to be willing to resist instead of run
3. Valley of Unconcern - Sometimes churches get caught up in living for self, Satan attacks
a. Unconcern for souls (Iím too busy)
b. Unconcern for missions (Oh no, another missionary)
c. Unconcern for church work (let someone else do it)
4. Valley of Sinfulness - Sometimes sin gets into a church, Satan attacks
a. Preachers fall
b. Church members fall
a. The Providence of Trials
1. Ge 50:19-20 And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God? But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.
b. The Promise of Trials
1. Ac 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
2. 1Pe 4:12-13 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
c. The Purpose of Trials
1. 1Pe 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
d. The Prize of Trials
1. 1Pe 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
e. The Purposing of Trials (donít quit)
1. 1Pe 1:6-9 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.